I’m still learning about Windows 10 and I’m still not sure I like it. It is a little bit too complicated, has too many features and is also a bit buggy. But I’m starting to like the new Start Menu and I love the integrated apps. But what I wasn’t able to use was the print spooler, which keeps stopping suddenly, without any warning.
There are many issues with Print Spooler on Windows 10 and many solutions to it as well. This article contains the best solutions for the most common problems of Windows 10.
Co-Editor in Chief
Milan has had a passion for computers since childhood, which has led him to become interested in all PC-related technologies. Before joining WindowsReport, he worked as a front-end web developer. Read more
Updated: July 9, 2021
Published: March 2020
- If the print spooler in Windows 10 keeps crashing, it could have a number of causes, including the service in question.
- You should remove any other unnecessary printers you may have installed.
- Try stopping the service and then deleting all the documents in the queue.
- Drivers may also be the cause of this problem. Therefore, update the printer driver manually or automatically.
We recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool to solve various PC problems:
This program fixes common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware malfunctions, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download the Restoro PC repair tool, which contains a patented technology (patent available here).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- To fix problems that affect the security and performance of your computer, click Repair All.
- Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month.
Printing documents in Windows 10 is quite easy, but some users have reported problems with printing.
The operation of your printer relies on the print spooler, which according to users regularly breaks down. Let’s see how we can solve this problem.
What should I do if the print spooler keeps stopping in Windows 10?
1. Remove unnecessary printers
- In Windows Search, type Control and click Control Panel in the results.
- When the Control Panel opens, locate the Devices and Printers section.
- Under Devices and Printers, select the printer you want to delete and click Print Server Properties.
- Click on the Drivers tab. You should see a list of all installed printers.
- Select the printer you want to delete and click the Delete button.
- Select Delete driver and driver package and click OK to completely uninstall the printer.
- After removing the printers you no longer need, restart your computer.
If two or more printers are installed, there can sometimes be problems with the print spooler and printing.
If the print spooler keeps crashing on your Windows 10 computer, you can fix the problem by removing printers you don’t use.
Note that this may only be a solution if you have two or more printers installed on your computer. Sometimes printer drivers can cause the Print Spooler service to stop. So make sure you remove them.
2. delete print spooler files
- When the Services window opens, locate the print spooler, right-click on it, and select Stop.
- Minimize the Services window and go to the next folder: C:WindowsSystem32spoolPrinter
- Note that you must have administrator rights to access it. It can also happen that a file is hidden. Therefore, make sure you have enabled the option to show hidden files.
- Open the Printer folder and delete all files in it.
- Disconnect the printer from the computer.
Sometimes the print spooler service stops because of the print spooler files. One way to solve this problem is to delete these files.
Before you can delete these files, you must disable the Print Spooler service by following the steps above.
Updating drivers manually is very tedious and can permanently damage your computer (by loading the wrong driver versions).
Therefore, we recommend that you use a special tool to do this automatically.
In most cases, the current drivers for your PC’s hardware and peripherals are not properly updated by the system. There are important differences between the generic driver and the manufacturer’s driver. Finding the right driver version for each of your hardware components can be tedious. Therefore, an automatic wizard can help you find the right drivers and update your system every time, and we recommend DriverFix. Here’s how:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Start the software.
- Wait until all defective drivers are detected.
- DriverFix will show you all drivers that have problems and you only need to select the one you want to fix.
- Wait until the application has downloaded and installed the latest drivers.
- Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
Make sure the drivers for the components of your PC are working properly without endangering your computer.
Denial: This program must be upgraded from the free version to perform specific actions.
3. Checking that remote procedure call services are working
- Open the Services window and verify that the Print Spooler service is running. Also check that the service is set to Auto Run.
- Locate the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service and verify that the startup type is set to Automatic.
- Double-click the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator service to open its properties.
- When the Properties window opens, set the Startup Type to Automatic and click the Start button to start the service.
- After starting the service, click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Users have reported that remote procedure call services can also cause problems with the print spooler. So you need to make sure these services are working properly.
Please follow the steps above and solve the problem as soon as possible. Check if the problem persists.
4. Copy a spool folder from a work PC
According to users, this problem can be solved by simply copying the spool folder from a Windows 10 desktop or even a Windows 10 virtual machine.
Make sure the version of Windows 10 is the same (32-bit or 64-bit).
To find the spool folder, just search for C:WindowsSystem32 and copy it to the problem computer.
Instead of overwriting the spool folder, we recommend renaming it or moving it to another location and then inserting a new spool folder.
In addition, the user is asked to export and copy the registration key from the work PC. Just export the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPrint, transfer it to the problem PC and run it to add it to the registry.
5. Restart the pressure washer
One of the simplest solutions is to restart the Print Spooler service. Follow the steps below to do this:
- Open the Services window.
- Find the Print Spooler service, right-click on it, and select Restart.
After restarting the service, check if the problem is resolved. If the problem persists, proceed with the following solution.
6. Amendment of register
- Press the Windows key + R and type regedit. Press Enter or OK.
- When the registry editor opens, go to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPrinting EnvironmentsWindows NT x86Printing Processors
If you have a 32-bit version of Windows 10. If you are using the 64-bit version, go to
the next key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPrinting EnvironmentsWindows NT x64Printing Processors
- Remove all keys except winprint. Just right click on the button you want to remove and select Remove from the menu.
- Close the registry editor.
You can solve the print spooler problem by removing some values from the registry.
Run a system check for errors
Press Start Scan to check for Windows problems.
Press Repair Everything to troubleshoot proprietary technology.
Run a PC scan with Restoro Repair Tool to find errors that cause security problems and slowdowns. Once the scan is complete, the recovery process replaces the damaged files with new Windows files and components.
Before you start editing the registry, we strongly recommend that you make a backup so that you can easily restore it in case of a problem.
After removing the keys, try restarting the Print Spooler service. According to users, the print spooler should work without any problems.
Users are also encouraged to remove features that are not used by default. Follow the steps below to do this:
- In the registry editor, navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPrintProviders
- You should see several subkeys available. Remove all keys except Internet Print Provider and LanMan Print Services.
If you don’t have access to the registry editor, it’s not as bad as it sounds. Read this handy guide to solve the problem.
7. Remove the driver and its entries from the registry
Some users also recommend deleting all registry entries associated with the printer.
This is a complicated and potentially dangerous process, so extreme caution is advised. After you delete all entries for your printer, make sure all printer drivers are removed from your computer.
Finally, reinstall the printer drivers and the problem should be solved.
8. Removal of duplicate drivers
- Press the Windows key + S and go to Print Control. In the results list, choose Retain Print.
- When Print Management opens, select All Drivers from the left pane.
- A list of all printer drivers appears. If you see duplicate drivers in the list, remove them by right-clicking and selecting Remove Driver Package.
Users have reported that the print spooler issue can be resolved by simply removing the duplicate drivers with the print manager. Follow the steps described above to do this.
9. Take control of the spool holder
- Navigate to the following folder: C:WindowsSystem32
- Right-click on the Spool folder and choose Properties from the menu.
- Click the Security tab, and then click the Edit button.
- Click the Add button.
- Type the user’s name in the Enter Object Names field to select and click Check Names. If the user name is correct, press OK to save the changes.
- Select your username in the Group or Username section and enable Full Control in the Allow section.
- Click Apply and OK to save your changes.
According to users, it seems that you can solve this problem by changing some security permissions. Of course, you should have full control over your reel file.
10. Removing files from printer and driver folders
Users report that restarting the Print Spooler service does not always solve the problem. So you should also try to delete all the files in the
After deleting these files, disconnect the printers from the computer and reconnect them after a few seconds. Finally, start the Spooler service and see if the error is fixed.
11. Reset Internet settings
- Press Windows + S and go to Internet settings. Select Internet Options from the menu.
- Click the Advanced tab, then click Reset.
- Press the reset button again to confirm.
Some users have reported that they solved the problem by simply resetting their internet settings. Follow the steps described above to do this.
After resetting the Internet settings, the print spooler problem should be solved.
12. Use print as picture setting
Users have reported that they cannot print PDF files with Adobe Reader. This allows them to print all documents except PDFs.
To resolve this issue, go to the advanced print settings and select the Print as image option. If you use this setting, you can print without any problems.
13. Change the value DependOnService
- Go to the next button in the left pane: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesSpooler
- Double-click DependOnService in the right pane.
- Change the data value to RPCSS and click OK to save the changes.
- Then restart the computer and check if the problem is solved.
Several users have reported that they solved this problem by simply changing the DependOnService value in the registry. To change this value, proceed as described above.
14. Disable allowing the service to communicate with the office
- Open the Services window and locate the Print Spooler service. Double-click it to open the properties.
- When the Properties window opens, click on the Connection tab.
- Find the Allow the service to interact with the desktop option and uncheck it.
- Click Apply and OK to save your changes.
To resolve the issue with the Print Spooler service, you may need to disable the Allow the service to interact with the desktop option. Follow the steps described above to do this.
The problem with the print spooler service should be solved if this feature is disabled.
The Print Spooler service can cause many problems for Windows 10 users, but you should be able to solve them with one of the following solutions. If you know of any other solutions, please share your tips below in the comments section.
Is there a problem? Repair them with this tool:
- Download this PC recovery tool with excellent reviews on TrustPilot.com (download starts on this page).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- Click Repair All to fix problems with patented technology (exclusive discount for our readers).
Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month.
Was this page helpful?
Not enough details.
It’s hard to understand
Contact an expert
Take part in the discussion
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does my print spooler keep stopping Windows 10?
This is a common issue with Windows 10. The print spooler service will stop working when it is overloaded with print jobs. The print spooler is a service that manages print jobs and keeps them from clogging up the system.
Why does the print spooler keep stopping?
The print spooler keeps stopping because it is trying to print a document that is too large.
How do I fix the print spooler in Windows 10?
To fix the print spooler in Windows 10, follow these steps: Open the Start menu and type “Printers and Printers” in the search box. Right-click the “Printers and Printers” icon and select “Printers and Faxes.” Select the printer you want to fix and click “Properties.” Click the “Printing” tab. Click “Change printer settings.” Click “Spooler” and then click “Spooler Settings.” Click “Spooler” and then click “Spooler Options.” Click “Spooler” and then click “Spooler Log.” Right-click the “Spooler Log” icon and select “Open File Location.” Right-click the “Spooler Log” icon and select
windows 10 print spooler repair toolprint spooler keeps stopping windows 7windows 10 print spooler will not stay runningprint spooler keeps stopping windows 10 1909windows 10 print spooler keeps stopping 2020print spooler keeps stopping windows 10 2004,People also search for,Feedback,Privacy settings,How Search works,windows 10 print spooler will not stay running,reinstall print spooler service windows 10,print spooler keeps stopping windows 10 2004,windows 10 print spooler repair tool,windows 10 print spooler keeps stopping 2020,windows 10 print spooler keeps stopping 2021,windows 10 update print spooler keeps stopping,print spooler keeps stopping server 2016